- Mission statement:
Inspire, develop and mentor future generations of surfers through the celebration of our rich surfing heritage.
- Past Springbok or South African Surfing Team members
- Past multiple SA Surfing Champion
- Past competitor on either the ISP or ASP Tour ranked within the top 44
- Outstanding contribution to the greater cause of South African Surfing – Administrator, Surf Photographer, Coach and or Surfing Judge
- Any surfer or surfing enthusiast who wants to contribute financially or materially (financially or with time)
There have been a few misconceptions with regards to the South African Surfing Legends entity. A few facts pertaining to SASL are listed below for clarity.
SASL is not here to bestow legendary status on any past or present surfer. We define a legend as a past competitor or surfing enthusists who wants to give back to our great sport.
SASL is not here to meddle in the politics of the sports governing bodies. but rather to contribute to the competitive development of South African surfing.
SASL is not here to act as a fundraiser for our sports structures, but will assist if we are in a position to do so.
SASL has submitted their application to register South African Surfing Legends as a section 18(a) Non Profit company and their status at present is pending.
SASL acknowledges that as a group they do not know all the answers to competitive surfing but they are passionate, and together with everyone’s support, input and advice, will strive to develop future world champions.
SASL is supported by SA Rugby Legends, Richmark, Firewire, Avis and Maverick Printing.
SASL supports the charity organisation Surfers Not Street Children:
SASL has a vibrant Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/1420990831503211/